© Kristen Nicole Guthrie 2012. All Rights Reserved.

Friday 10 August 2012

Set in Stone


This week seems to be all about the editors. First the devastating news about the great Anna Piaggi (which I'm still in shock about), and now on a more celebratory note; the style plaque unveiling of arguably the greatest fashion editor the world has ever seen. Diana Vreeland is being honoured by having her name set in stone on the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style. On the 10th of September she will become the 19th icon and first ever editor to receive this award, and you bet your favorite pair of heels that she deserves it the most.


My favorite thing about this woman has to be all of the amazing quotes she bestowed upon the word. 

"Elegance is innate.  It has nothing to do with being well dressed.  Elegance is refusal"

"As you know, the French like the French very much"

"The best thing about London is Paris"

"I loathe narcissism, but I approve of vanity"

"Never fear being vulgar, just boring"

"A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika"

"What do I think about the way most people dress?
Most people are not something one thinks about"


"Fashion must be the intoxicating release from the banality of the world"


"Is there anything beyond fashion?"


And my all time favorite
"Balenciaga did the most delicious clothes.  Clothes aren't delicious anymore"




What I'm really excited about though is the upcoming documentary about her career, set to come out in late September. A little sneak peak was shown at V&A museum last week which was open to the public, and included a dissusion between a Vogue editor and the museum curator. I shall already be in London on the 21st when it hits so I will be first in line to watch what I have a feeling is gonna be even better than the Bill Cunningham film that came out earlier this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment